22 Feb 2013

SC#30 | Spicy sausage casserole


I don't really do hearty meaty meals. Like, at all. I just don't think about that. I never even buy meat, so getting these sausages was quite the achievement (and it took me forever to pick them—I knew the Brits enjoyed their bangers but would've thought they had so many types of them!) But with the snow turning London into flipping Siberia a few weeks ago, I decided I'd go for something that would make warm all over and give me some energy to fight the arctic winds. I got my inspiration from a dish my housemate made when I was over at hers for New Year's. Nothing crazy really, just some nice comfort food!

And then the weather got warmer, I almost thought I could see tomato salads and homemade spring rolls on my shopping list...

But no. Back to the cold, back to the flipping snow, and mostly back to hearty casseroles.


You'll need:
- one tin of beans in chilli sauce
- one tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- sausages to your liking
- two red bell peppers
- olive oil
- salt, pepper
- if you like it really spicy, you could add half a red chilli (or a whole one if you know no fear)

Chop the onion and garlic and soften in a pan with some olive oil. Slice the peppers and cut the sausages in chunks. Add them to the pan and cook until the sausages are almost done. Add then the beans and chopped tomatoes and bring to the boil.

This is really nice with rice and makes for a more hearty meal with it, so if you're going to have some with, now is the time to make it.

Once the casserole's boiled, season and leave this to simmer for 5 to 10 mn (which should be about the time the rice takes.)

And now eat and feel the spicy warmth!

2 comments:

  1. I cooked this for dinner last night and it was great. Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that! I've seen your name around often, so thanks for coming back, reading and leaving comments, I really appreciate that :)

      Delete